So this is going to be the fastest post I’ve ever written because a) we have a guest staying with us and I’d like to hang out and b) Adam and I are moving on Monday. No, the apartment is not completely packed yet. The books are though – 17 boxes, 3 cubic feet each. We’ve got lots of books.
Any rate. Pumpkin pie oatmeal. In a slow cooker! I can definitely see using this one more in the fall, but it was good now too: used up a can of pumpkin pureé so we did not have to move it 🙂
The original recipe had a few issues, from my point of view:
1) the original oats to water ratio would have resulted in an insanely thin oatmeal. I mean I know Adam and I like rather thick oatmeal but still! Insanity
2) Needs more texture. We started tossing in diced apples and various nuts in the morning. Make it much better.
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Original from AroundMyFamilyTable
Recipes left to try (& copy…): 31; Breakfast: 3 recipes left
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- 7 cups water (this is what we made – needs cutting though – we’ll try 5.5-6 next time)
- 1 can (~15oz) pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar
- Toppings of choice: diced apples, chopped nuts suggested
- Combine all ingredients other than toppings in a large slow cooker (6 cups-ish). Cook on low overnight.
- Season to taste and mix-in toppings of choice.