Seeing as I have an entire holiday weekend (hooray!) I’m gonna try and go through the rest of the recipes, and make a final list of what I will be copying out and (eventually) trying. Which means I need to go through the Dinners, Vegetables, Lunches, Breakfasts, Desserts and Other sections… they’re long. Well, lets see when my brain starts its revolt.
- How to Basic Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes – Nope, not starting to learn canning and the like yet.
- How to Basic Fruit Jam – This sounds good, doesn’t require pectin, and is safe to freeze. I’ll try it.
- Flavored Salts – This looks like fun, so yup.
- How to Make Tahini – Adam makes a lot of hummus so this won’t go to waste. Tahini it is.
- Best Way to Make Lemonade – Let’s see if I can make lemonade I like 🙂
- DIY Instant Hot Chocolate – Adam wants this one, so yes.
- Sriracha-style hot sauce – Okay, when the recipe starts with instructs I associate with a chemistry lab (“This sauce should be prepared in a well-ventilated area”) or toxic cleaning solutions…. I’mma gonna skip this one
- Souper Mix – Adam is the soup and stew guy around here and he’s not interested in using this. So, nope.
- Paneer Cheese in 30 Minutes – We like Indian food, have access to less pasteurized milk (hooray Union Market), and I want to try making cheese. So, yup
I already have a lot of dessert type things in my binders. So many, in fact, that they all get their own binder. So… I’m gonna try and be super picky with these recipes. It needs to either be something I don’t already have or be so much better than what I’ve already got that I can tell that just by reading the recipe.
- Wild Blackberry Sorbet – You may have noticed, but I really like blackberries – also want to use our ice cream maker more 🙂
- Pumpkin Ice Cream with Gingersnap Bowls – Well this looks … decadent. Will be trying, thank you.
- Slow-Cooker Carrot Cake – I’ll stick with the oven for carrot cake – and NOT buy a whole ‘nother cake pan
- Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns – I’mma gonna leave biscuits to Adam and his chicken pot pie dinners; I’d rather have a cinnamon roll honestly
- Spicy Sticky Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing – um, yeah, I’ll try these, using the instructions in How to Freeze Cinnamon Rolls & Bake Later to make ahead.
- Apple Pie Bake in the Apple – These seem… cute. But I’m not seeing the benefits of scooping out apple guts to replace them with apple slices from different apples. Maybe the handheld nature would make these better on a picnic or something, but they look like they still need a knife and fork, so…
- Fudgy Hazelnut Rye Brownies – I cannot eat these twice over (chocolate and coffee), so I’m not making them – but Adam will, ’cause a) chocolate and b) coffee
- Blackberry-Rhubarb Crumble – Blackberries and rhubarb… Sorry, went to my happy place for a minute there
- Chocolate-covered Strawberries – Shhhh… don’t tell Adam, but these are making an appearance for his birthday
- Lemon Sorbet – Looks simple and easy – already planning to use this one for a Feastly dinner (maybe brunch) in August
- Fruit Crumble with Oats and Dates – I don’t keep coconut oil or sunflower seed flour around, so no
- Mini-Apple Cider Donuts – Involves ‘biscuit mix’ – call me a purist or a snob, but NOPE
So much for being picky and eliminating lots of from the dessert group.
Adam and I eat cereal pretty much every morning, even weekends. So….another group to try and be picky with.
- Spiced Honey Peach Muffins – So many fruit
cupcakemuffin recipes have I! sugar at 2/3rds (by weight) of the flour… I bet I could just use peaches instead of apples (drop the walnuts), of blackberries, of carrots , etc. and get something similar/good. I’ll try that next time peach season rolls around.
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal – Slow cooker? check (only way oatmeal gets made around here really). Pumpkin is yummy (to me) – we’ll see how Adam feels.
- Spiced Apple Ring Pancakes – I’m not feeling the battered apple rings, so cutting this one.
- Baked Pumpkin Steel Cut Oatmeal – Nope, too much work in the morning (I’m slow enough as it is!) and no tested slow cooker version.
- Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage & Eggs – This looks delicious.
- Spiced Pear Muffins – See previous comments about
- Holiday Breakfast Wreath – Kinda on the fence on this one and in the spirit of being selective and saving my wrist from lots of handwriting, eliminated
- Baked Chai-Spiced French Toast – We have a habit of cubing the ends of bread loafs when they start to go stale and sticking the cubes in the freezer. Then when the bag gets full enough, Adam soaks the bread in a custard mix and bakes – he calls this a crustard. That’s what this recipe reminded me of – I think I’ll try this spice and milk mixture the next time we do that.
- Blueberry Breakfast Bars – These look good but the recipe calls for rye flakes (although it mentions to substitute more rolled oats for them if you want) and raw sesame seeds – so if I can find raw sesame seeds at Glut the next time I go, this recipe will get copied out. So, in, pending final approval.
- Savory Parmesan French Toast – French toast isn’t in the rotation often enough for me to justify trying out and potentially adding two more recipes for it. And I rather try the chai-spiced version, so this one gets cut.
For me, lunches need to be quick to make in the morning or easily made as a big batch on the weekend and just grabbed from the fridge/freezer in the morning. I have a feeling that’s going to eliminate a lot of these…
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter & Jelly Pockets – Batchable? check. Grab from the freezer? check. Can I stand almond butter any more? Nope. and Adam is still happy with his usual PB&J version. So, not so much.
- Whole Wheat Pita with Kale & Asiago – This looks doable. And delicious – I like kale.
- Farmer’s Lunch Sandwich – Looks not filling enough for me, so sadly, no.
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese & Arugula Sandwich – More work than works for me for lunches
- Tortellini Salad w/Figs, Walnuts, Prosciutto & Greens – Batchable, yep. I’ll try this.
- Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato & Kale Whole Wheat Pockets – Batch, yep. Freeze-able, yep. Adam making the ‘feed me one right now’ motions? Also yep.
Annnnd, now it’s Monday night and time to post, with the vegetables and dinners group still left to do. arg.