I am never, EVER letting my ‘recipes to try’ folder grow to 80 bookmarks again. 80. Do you know what opening all of those at once does to your browser? No! Because you are all smart people who don’t do that.
So, with 80 possible recipes and being me, I decided to sort them into categories.
As you can see, this is no where near an even breakdown, but mentally I’m going to be tackling it group by group. But first, recipes that make me go ‘what was I thinking?’ and remove them from contention, based solely on the title:
Chicken Tagine with Apricots, Almonds and Chickpeas – I have something if not exactly like this, extremely close to it in my rotation already
Pasta with cauliflower, sausage & breadcrumbs – I think I tried it already, but at any rate, neither Adam or I like cauliflower
Chocolate Buttercream – Sorry, no frosting that means I cannot eat the cake (which leads to the question whether I’ll be keeping the Chocolate-covered Strawberries – the answer is yes, so I can try and make them for Adam’s birthday, seeing as they’re his favorite dessert and all.)
Vanilla Sugar – Seeing as I won’t be able smell the results, it seems like a lot of work for something I cannot reap the benefits of and doesn’t seem like it’d make a good DIY holiday gift. That last bit may be silly talk, but it’s what’s rattling in my brain right now. And I just hand coded an HTML table. I can arbitrarily eliminate recipes if I wanna 😀
Fluffy Vanilla Marshmallows – … We don’t eat marshmallows, why would I make them?
So that’s 5 out of 80 eliminated. Otherwise known as 6.25%. Oy.
A couple groups tonight, from actually looking at the recipe:
- Apple Butter Challah – Nope – I’ve got 2 challah recipes I’m happy with and the addition of apple butter is just not different enough from my apple challah recipe to be worth the hand pain writing things out
- No-Knead Bread – Yup, this is a technique I haven’t tried yet
Pizza (aka, we have a pizza stone, we should use it more)
- Fig, Brie, and Caramelized Onion Pizza – Figs! and Brie! so, yes
- Homemade thin crust pizza – Well, Adam likes thin crust pizza, so what the heck, I’ll try it
- Pizza with Crispy Kale, Butternut Squash, Bacon & Smoked Mozzarella – I’ll have to substitute something for the bacon (because sulfates and reasons), but otherwise, everything looks delicious, so also yes
- Pizza with Roasted Red Peppers, Sausage & Jack Cheese – Have to be careful about the sausage I buy (no sulfates, and not pork if I’m gonna be offering some to Dad), but again, sounds delicious. Also yes.
- Homemade Jerky – this looks tasty if a bit time consuming (maybe I should look into that dehydrator…), but I’d be able to make a big batch and then have protein snacks at work
- Apple Cider Granola – Yup
- Sugared Pecans – Well, since I seem to have completely mislaid my spiced [nut of choice] recipe, sure, I’ll try it
- Granola Bars – Nope. Has brown rice syrup. Not buying another random ingredient only used in one recipe to sit in the pantry for months.
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Streusel Bars – Also Nope. Has cream cheese. We don’t buy that very often and if I’m making bars, I want to throw them in my bag and have a snack that can just sit out of the refrigerator for days. Which is a shame, I like strawberries and rhubarb.
- Medjool Date & Apple Charoset – Dates, Apples, Pecans, Walnuts! Hurray!! Manischewitz, BOOO! Oh well, I try this any way.
So, three more down. More group by group eliminations next Tuesday. The end result should be a list of recipes I can post on a page around here and then cross out as I actually copy them out. Whee!