Adam here. I’ll be your writer for this Christmas week. Happy Holidays to you and yours, dear readers!
So, back in the middle of November, Laura pointed out McCormick, the spices company, was tossing out challenges (Go 4 Gourmet Challenge if you’d like to know) along the lines of “here are 4 ingredients including one of our products – go forth and make a meal with them.” The specific challenge Laura pointed to and said “let’s do that” was Mushrooms, Ginger, Chicken Broth, and Kale. Being the improviser around here I thought it would be cool to whip something up and toss it into the proverbial ring.
Kale and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 white mushrooms, with 2 inch caps
- olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 oz finely minced ginger
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 5 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup crabmeat
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Pull off the stems from the mushrooms and lightly rub each cap with a small amount of olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the kosher salt and diced tomato. Transfer tomato to a colander and leave it to drain in the sink, for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, simmer the tomato and ginger in the vegetable broth, until infused; approximately 10 minutes.
- Add chopped kale, basil, and flour to the saucepan; season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and simmer until reduced in size, about 15 minutes. With an immersion blender, purée. Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by a third. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the crabmeat to the kale mixture and stir until blended. Add the breadcrumbs to the crab-kale mixture. Stir until incorporated.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of crab-kale mixture into each mushroom cap; top with a sprinkling of cheese. Season to taste.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet. Serve immediately.